POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render frames backwards : Re: Render frames backwards Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render frames backwards
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 14 Nov 2002 05:49:07
Message: <3dd37fa3@news.povray.org>
In article <3dd37767@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   I think that the idea is that if one computer starts from the beginning
> and the other from the end, the rendering time is distributed optimally
> if not all frames take the same amount of time to render. For example, if
> the frames at the first half take longer to render than the ones in the
> second half, then no time will be wasted when the second computer gets its
> job done while the first one still has a long way to go.

So you suggest one renders the even and another the odd indexed frames?  Or
do you suggest that the beginning and the end of a sequence take long and
you divide them such that one renders from beginning to the middle of the
sequence and the other from the end to the middle of the sequence?  Why
would it have to work backwards in either case?  The speed would be the same
regardless of sequence direction!

>   Btw, the same idea can be applied when rendering a single image in
> a computer with two processors: One processor renders normally, the other
> in reverse order. When they reach the same pixel, they stop. This distributes
> the rendering effort perfectly, regardless of the image.

No, this would not distribute perfectly regardless of the image except
trivial cases.  In fact it would be very far away from perfect distribution
as each and every pixel can take a "random" amount of time.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde